Thursday 29 September 2011

12. Adventurer


A hotel prints me off a list of directions to Leipzig. I cycle along a river and after a sharp bend, an incredibly beautiful and old town is sudden towering over me. It is built into the valley and at it's centre is a huge gothic cathedral. For the first time in my journey, I get off my bike just to take in my surroundings. As I sit there, I can't help but find quite a lot of satisfaction in knowing that no-one I know will probably ever see this, since none of you suckers will cycle home from Auschwitz. Someone tells me the town is called MeiBnen (with the funny German B) and throughout the rest of my trip I ask many Germans if they've ever heard of it or been there. Only 1 person I meet says he knows of it.

It feels like I stumbled upon a real hidden gem, it feels like I am an adventurer.

No comments:

Post a Comment